Skip to main content

Tom and Jerry

The only time I really watched cartoons was when I was really young. As I grew up, I never really watched too many cartoons. That being said, Tom and Jerry was definitely one of my favorite childhood cartoons. My mom didn't want me to watch SpongeBob for whatever reason, so I settled for Tom and Jerry. We weren't allowed to watch TV during the week either. My sister and I would wake up in the morning on the weekends and turn on Tom and Jerry. I think I like Tom and Jerry even more because I wasn't allowed to watch that much TV in the first place.
My favorite character out of the two was Jerry. Tom was great with all his tricks, but I always rooted for the underdog in Jerry. Jerry was just this little mouse and Tom was a big cat, but Jerry always got the best of Tom. My sister would pick on me because she was four years older, so I guess I pictured myself as Jerry standing up against Tom, aka my sister. In any case, Jerry was my guy, and I'm still surprised he was so invincible.
I think what made Tom and Jerry so funny was the slapstick style that it deploys. Tom and Jerry are constantly hurting each other, and Tom is always trying to catch Jerry to eat him. Tom is very clumsy and gets hurt all the time, and it's even better that the little mouse is the one hurting Tom. It also takes the traditional cat and mouse roles and reverses them. The cat is always supposed to eat the mouse, but in this case, the mouse comes out on top. This is another classic reversal technique that promotes comedy and laughter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't go 82 in a 50

Well, we started our drive to Breckenridge, Colorado for spring break today. I hopped in my buddy’s car at the last second after my New York City trip was cancelled (which is a story for a whole different blog), and we hit the road. We were about 3.5 hours into the trip when we started to hit several small towns in north Texas. These small towns come out of nowhere and are a real test to see if the person driving is paying attention to the speed limit. Needless to say, my buddy was not paying attention to the speed limit and was cooking about 80 when the speed limit dropped from 70 to 50. As far as we knew, there was no warning sign about the drop in speed limit, and by the time my buddy asked—"wait did that sign just say 45”— there were sirens right on our tail. The Police officer introduced himself as Chief Michael Hopkins of the Chillicothe police department. He was wearing a polo shirt with a badge on it which looked like one that someone might purchase at a Halloween costum...

Don't be friends with Chiefs fans

Recently, I learned that I am friends with way too many Chiefs fans. The Chiefs mighty be a great team that just won the Super Bowl, but as I like to remind my friends, it has not always been this way. During the 2000's, the Chiefs could not even make a playoff spot or even hold a winning record. This all changed two years ago when the Chiefs starting quarterback, Alex Smith, was traded to the Redskins. The trade allowed Patrick Mahomes to step in and take the starting spot. The city of Kansas City and Chiefs fans around the world think that Mahomes is the chosen one. As great as he is, Mahomes is a big reason why KC fans have been getting on my nerves recently. For example, Mahomes makes some spectacular plays, but Chiefs fans don't shut up about these plays for a good week. I'm a Packers fan, and we obviously have a great quarterback named Aaron Rodgers. Is he the greatest of all time? Probably, but that's beside the point. I can admit that Mahomes is a great player, ...

The Butt Slide

The last couple of years, my buddies and I have been doing a ski trip in Beaver Creek, Colorado during winter break. My buddies come from all around the country and we stay just about a week on the mountain. One of my close friends from home has a house in Beaver Creek and he is extremely generous to let all of us come out and trash his house for a week. We have a great time on the mountain and apres ski, but that's beside the point of this blog. Anyway, all of my buddies ski at different levels. Some of my buddies are better than others. You would think that my buddies from Texas would be the worst skiers. This was not the case the first year we were there. One of my friends, Steve, was actually from Colorado just like I am, and he is the focus of this blog. We realized after the first green, groomed run Steve was a little further back than the rest of the group. He had only skied once in his life, and he had fallen a good twenty times before we even got down the first run. Once...