Skip to main content

5 Comedic Pointers

1. Laugh at yourself / Make yourself the target of the humor - It is important not to take yourself so seriously when trying to create humor. Making jokes about yourself can show you have a sense of humor, and it can help push people to laugh since you are already laughing at yourself.

2. Misdirection - Many instances of laughter come when someone says something that is completely unexpected. When you go against expectations, it catches the listener off guard and they are able to laugh about it.

3. Practice Impersonations - I thought of this tip when watching clips of Robin Williams. Robin Williams' impersonations are so funny because of his ability to emphasize incongruity. When he opens his mouth to do an impersonation, it is totally not what the listener expects, so it is funny.

4. Call Back (Vorhaus) - Going back to something that was talked about previously in the conversation can be a very good comedic technique. It can show your ability to think on your feet and create witty remarks from something that was said just minutes before.

5. Practice telling stories / tell more stories - I didn't get this tip from YouTube or anything; I just noticed that I think my dad is so funny because he has a great ability to tell true, funny stories. If I told the story, they wouldn't be as funny, but that's because he has told so many stories and has become very good at it.

Comments

  1. Thanks for your list. I really liked #5, and agree with it. Telling funny stories is a practiced craft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the number 4 callback, always goes over pretty well. And a good impression always wins over a crowd

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Don't go 82 in a 50

Well, we started our drive to Breckenridge, Colorado for spring break today. I hopped in my buddy’s car at the last second after my New York City trip was cancelled (which is a story for a whole different blog), and we hit the road. We were about 3.5 hours into the trip when we started to hit several small towns in north Texas. These small towns come out of nowhere and are a real test to see if the person driving is paying attention to the speed limit. Needless to say, my buddy was not paying attention to the speed limit and was cooking about 80 when the speed limit dropped from 70 to 50. As far as we knew, there was no warning sign about the drop in speed limit, and by the time my buddy asked—"wait did that sign just say 45”— there were sirens right on our tail. The Police officer introduced himself as Chief Michael Hopkins of the Chillicothe police department. He was wearing a polo shirt with a badge on it which looked like one that someone might purchase at a Halloween costum...

Don't be friends with Chiefs fans

Recently, I learned that I am friends with way too many Chiefs fans. The Chiefs mighty be a great team that just won the Super Bowl, but as I like to remind my friends, it has not always been this way. During the 2000's, the Chiefs could not even make a playoff spot or even hold a winning record. This all changed two years ago when the Chiefs starting quarterback, Alex Smith, was traded to the Redskins. The trade allowed Patrick Mahomes to step in and take the starting spot. The city of Kansas City and Chiefs fans around the world think that Mahomes is the chosen one. As great as he is, Mahomes is a big reason why KC fans have been getting on my nerves recently. For example, Mahomes makes some spectacular plays, but Chiefs fans don't shut up about these plays for a good week. I'm a Packers fan, and we obviously have a great quarterback named Aaron Rodgers. Is he the greatest of all time? Probably, but that's beside the point. I can admit that Mahomes is a great player, ...

The Butt Slide

The last couple of years, my buddies and I have been doing a ski trip in Beaver Creek, Colorado during winter break. My buddies come from all around the country and we stay just about a week on the mountain. One of my close friends from home has a house in Beaver Creek and he is extremely generous to let all of us come out and trash his house for a week. We have a great time on the mountain and apres ski, but that's beside the point of this blog. Anyway, all of my buddies ski at different levels. Some of my buddies are better than others. You would think that my buddies from Texas would be the worst skiers. This was not the case the first year we were there. One of my friends, Steve, was actually from Colorado just like I am, and he is the focus of this blog. We realized after the first green, groomed run Steve was a little further back than the rest of the group. He had only skied once in his life, and he had fallen a good twenty times before we even got down the first run. Once...